Below are links to "classical" tourist attractions like monuments, museums, birth-places, memorials and the like. Please verify the information before you plan a visit because details may have changed or whatever it is you want to see or visit may no longer be available. (We sometimes leave details of old establishments as a reminder of "the old days"). All underlined blue text will take you to more information if you click on it.
(We are working on a dedicated page for the Museum)unacceptable and persuaded the authorities to build a new residence on adjoining land. The then Borough Council acquired the property and the Museum was officially opened on 17 August 1973 by the Administrator of Natal, Ben Havemann. It is now a National Monument and considered to be one of the better small museums in the country
Open Monday to Friday 08:00 to 16:00 and
This lake nestles
in picturesque wooded "Little Canada" surroundings and supplies the town
This hill 45
km from Greytown on the Stanger road, overlooks the Tugela River,
which meanders nearly 700m below. An interesting tribal legend dating
to the days of Shaka tells of the rock splitting to hide a Chief's son
and his bride from cannibals.
Off the D479
on the way to Stanger.
There is a geocache at the site.
Click here to listen to the song
Click here to see Wikipedia info.
Aya Jana who as a small child was orphaned when the Voortrekkers and Matabeles under Mzilikazi did battle. She was taken in by the Voortrekkers and was with them when the Zulus attacked the Voortrekkers at Bloukrans near Weenen.
While seriously wounded she escaped with her life by feigning death while being prodded with assegais.She was nursed back to health and adopted by the Mare family, an Aunt and Uncle of Sarie, raised as one of their children and went on to live to the ripe old age of 93.
Honour was bestowed on her at the historic festival of the Voortrekker Vow in December of 1912, where she planted a tree to commemmorate the event and took her place on a bench with all the VIPs - which included among others, the then Governor of Natal C.J. Smythe, the wife of Andries Pretorius (she must have been ancient!), the Advocate E.G. Jansen who later became Governor General of the Union of South Africa. The location of the tree is unknown but it is thought to have long since died.
Please note that it is not near Sarie Marais' grave and the tourist sign on the R74 is incorrect. The grave is off the Mispah Road between the R33 and the R74. We are taking the signage issue up with the authorities. The GPS co-ordinates are 29*6'34.29"S 30*42'36.70"E
38 Km on the Stanger Road, popular until the 60s when it was favourably compared to the best in Europe. We have heard of many good times had at Lilani. Please e-mail us any stories you may have to share with us. It has now been re-vamped.
A visit to Lilani is a really refreshing experience and is a snip at the current price of R350.00 per couple per night.The fee for day visitors is R50.00 per person.
In the Tugela Valley below Kranskop. Although there are no formal camping facilities, many families have made their annual treks and set up camp at their sites at Shu Shu during July for generations. The annual gathering now re-unites people from all over South Africa.
n 1906 a poll tax instead of the usual hut tax was imposed on the local Zulus. This coupled with numerous other issues resulted in the rebelling of several tribal chiefs including Bambatha.
The inhabitants of Greytown went into laager in the Greytown Town Hall and a column of police were sent to collect two women and a child from the Marshall Hotel (Keates Drift road) and the Storekeeper's wife from Keates Drift. On their return with shouts of "Usuthu!" they were ambushed at the rock 23 km on Keates Drift Road, 4 policemen were killed.
This resulted in what is known as the "BAMBATHA REBELLION" the appalling loss of 70 rebels at Pukunyoni, over 600 at Isuzi and 575 at Mome Gorge. More information on this enigmatic Bambatha can be found at the Greytown Museum.
In 1968 one Mishak Mthalane was at the offices of Attorneys Nel & Stevens and they needed to know his age. He didn't know how old he was so Interpreter Gilbert Maphanga tried to find out what major events Mishak could remember and how tall he was at the time hoping to set a guideline to estimate Mishak's age. Mishak said that he taken part in the Bambatha Rebellion. When Tiny Stevens heard this he asked Gilbert to take a statement from Mishak. Click here to read the statement of a soldier in Bambatha's Impi.
We have received a letter from the grand-daughter of the doctor who had to cut off Bambatha's head. Click here to read the letter.
13 km out on Keate's Drift/Dundee road is a Memorial erected in memory of the four policemen including Trooper Aston and his dog, killed at Ambush Rock. It is alleged that Sgt Brown's body was only found the next day badly mutilated - his moustache was carried around to encourage Zulu men to join up with the rebels, while parts of his body were made into medicine to make warriors immune to bullets.
The foundation stone was laid in 1897 but the building was only opened in 1904 after redesigning by Street Wilson on original plans drawn up by Stott and Tomlinson. The Towns' resources had been drained by the Anglo Boer war, so the building was only partially completed in 1898.
Built in 1877 - this is the oldest church in Greytown - Gothic style.
The bell bought
in 1861 was used to summon the Dutch and English community to church.
The full story of the bell was being researched by Tiny Christie before her sudden death. Please send us any information you might have that might assist.
A stone and two yellowwood trees commemorate the visit of the Ossewa Trek in 1938 on the centenary of the Great Trek.
The first church built in 1856 was destroyed by a cyclone. Sir Henry Bulwer, Lieutenant Governor with a naval Hussars guard of honour, opened the new church on 07/04/1883
Initially constructed of wood and iron was built in 1898. The present one was built in 1946 and can accommodate two hundred worshippers. It is situated in Bell Street. There is also the Madressa Hidayatul Islam School. On the walls of the Mosque are quranic verses. In this respect Prof. Lakhi and his Kufi writings will be remembered. Five times a day the Moazzin calls people to prayer on Friday afternoon being most important.
In 1910 the late
Baboo Dakka Singh donated two roods of land and the first religious centre
started in a wood and iron building. In 1926 a vernacular school was established
and a temple was opened in 1933, in 1973 the old temple was demolished
to make way for the present one.
This is the second
church to be built on this plot, the original site now being a garden
Constructed of stone from the original old Greytown Court House and was paid for by Sir George Leuchars, Minister of Agriculture under the Prime Minister Louis Botha during the first Union of South Africa parliament in 1910. He was also O.C. of the Umvoti Mounted Rifles 1898 - 1908
The land was donated by Major Theodore Menne and the Church was built about 1915. A convent of St Dominics was once attached to it which was closed in 1967.
Next to the Theodore
Menne Library, this the oldest hall in Greytown, was built as a Masonic
Hall in 1880 and then became the headquarters of the Umvoti Mounted Rifles.
This magnificent building was built in 1905 and was a stand-out feature of driving down Durban Street. Sadly it was sold when a new Masonic lodge was built at the bottom of Scott Street. It was destroyed by fire soon thereafter.
The house was built in the late 1870's by Ignatius Marthinus van Rooyen, who in 1897 was a member of the first Town Board. It was converted into a restaurant, then a shop, then as a result of a fire, the authorities insisted it be pulled down. The house and one wall of the stables still remains on Shepstone Street.
near the saleyards was demolished by the authorities.
(Check before visiting)
Home to "Chummy"
a Border Collie TV star and subject of many books by local Brenda Munitich
- he paw marks his books.
cairn on the farm Honeyfontein situated on the Pietermaritzburg road marks
the spot where in 1862 Louis Botha was born, the 8th of 13 children. The Heine Spruit was in flood and his mother couldn't make
it back to Greytown to the family farm Onrust!
Vintage and veteran
farm tractors of English and American manufacture dating between 1920
at the Museum, the Information Centre carries information on the Battlefields
Route, the surrounding district and Bed & Breakfast establishments.